Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hatchery at Howell!

Whew-this summer is flying by! we have had a busy one so far!
One of the first things we did this summer was attend the Hatchery program at Howell Living History Farm. We just called it farm camp, but we were super excited because our friend Rachel was teaching. When I signed up for the camp I was surprised at how small the cost was- but then I was reminded that I would be required to work around the farm while Gibson was learning in the Hatchery program! WOW, what a good deal that was for the FARM!!!! We actually did some pretty heavy labor, and Gibson and the kids got to do some really cool things. The gang of parents and grandparents that I worked with everyday were so awesome and I miss them now that it is through!

Here is a breakdown of some of the Shenanigans we were a part of:

Monday
Moms/Dads, grandpas/grandmas: moved wood, logs and brush. Although a BEAUTIFUL wood pile was created, I did not get a picture- and I am telling you- it was a work of art (and very sweaty hard labor!). I think my fav part was hanging out of the back of the Toro while we drove around the farm- and of course MY woodpile ;)



Kiddos: Well, the initial report I got from Gibson was this: "We fed the animals. guess what, mommy? for snack we got to eat butter on crackers!" At least 20 minutes after I ooh-ed and ahh-ed over his brief report, I found out that they actually MADE the butter they ate by "churning" it in jars with marbles in them!

Tuesday
Moms/Dads, grandpas/grandmas: More brush removal, weeding and primping main road garden, picking up litter on the main road (seriously, cigarette butts are/is litter people!!!) and beginning to take down an event tent (trickier than it seemed!). Somewhere around this time I realized i had poison ivy: on. my. back. side! GRR!


Kiddos: They began dyeing wool and got to collect the eggs from the chickens, along with the daily feeding of the animals (you bring in scraps from home- the animals and kids get a kick out of it!)

Wednesday

Moms/Dads, grandpas/grandmas: More work on the tent, beginning to pick up Osage orange branches- folks these things do NOT mess around- huge thorns that can pop tires and cripple a horse. We used pitch forks and rakes to deal with these monsters! Then to make sure we didn't waste any of our remaining time, we got to shovel sheep poop in their yard!
Kiddos: used their dyed wool to make really cool butterflies! Thursday
Moms/Dads, grandpas/grandmas:More, and I mean MORE Osage orange clippings. While we didn't actually cut them, there was still alot of work to do to make sure none were left on the ground.
Kiddos: Cool butterfly kites- as we came in from the Osage (different part of the farm) we got to watch them try to fly them by running down a hill! It was really cute and they were so happy!
Friday
Moms/Dads, grandpas/grandmas: I heard there was even more Osage to do, but I was the helper parent with the kids and Rachel. We had a blast brushing the horse, feeding the pigs, collecting eggs from the chickens, shelling corn to feed to the sheep, grinding corn for food for the farm animals and making beaded bracelets with colors that would remind us of the farm. After we were done, some of the families hung around and we had a little picnic.



This week was SOOO much fun! but hard work and a learning experience too!

0 comments: