Wednesday, September 17, 2008

He's Six!

Gibson's day was pretty good! He got up bright and early and remembered to wear red, white and blue for Constitution day (his school sent a reminder) and got to watch an Avatar (OK, broke down and bought a couple of the box sets!). Then we drove to the donut shop for Munchkins for birthday snack time and ran him to school with some Capri-suns too. Delaney and I ran around like idiots trying to exercise (whod'a thunk, huh?), buy last minute party favors and stuff (RRREEEAAAALLLLY scored at Dollar Tree) and to clean and set up the house!





We picked up Gibson after school and zoomed home to keep setting up! And then people came, and came, and came until the house almost exploded with 6 year old craziness! We all dressed up in the hats, patches and bandannas, read How I Became a Pirate, then had a photo treasure hunt. After the booty was secured, I read them Pirates don't Change Diapers while my friends split up the bounty for the kids. Then pizza and food, presents and cupcakes(complete with skull and crossbones rings!!)! All of this was mingled with many costume changes, candy, yelling, screaming, shouting, and normal kids stuff! I have always wanted to have a pirate party for his birthday because it is soooo close to International Speak Like a Pirate Day (seriously, heard about it 5 years ago on NPR and have celebrated it with two of my girlfriends ever since!!!). So now it is not even 9:30 and I feel myself falling asleep at my keyboard! Love to you all who could and couldn't be here to celebrate with us!!!!

BTW, the bruise on my inner elbow is actually not my fault for once, i gave blood and it kinda went wrong- it looks disgusting... but matches all the ones on my legs from my bike!

3 comments:

helmetnona said...

I love it that the birthday party featured story time.

Chanko said...

Aha! Now I found you too!

That's so great! Happy Birthday Gibson from the Hardy's!
I find it awesome that I'm not the only one to read books and tell stories at my kids' birthday parties!

Anonymous said...

Hi Malissa! I can't believe Gib is 6. Happy birthday to him.

We just had a pirate bday party yesterday for Toby--4 this year. I stole your idea of reading a pirate story and that was a great addition to the festivities.