Sunday, March 16, 2008

THis week

in the life of Dmoefamily. Yup- another busy one. with some sickness and injury to boot- so that is why we are so slow in updating!

Derick had something removed from the bottom of his foot by a lazer on Tuesday and has been hobbling around ( or actually laying on the couch mostly) in pain all week. It has definetely made more of the slack (we're good at slack) fall onto me....


I personally think one of the most exciting and rewarding thing I got to do this week was to read to Gibson's class ( I SURE know how to PARTY, RIGHT??). Last week was the letter "P" and it was his show and tell week too. We decided that for the letter P, we could read his class our favorite P books- Pirates don't Change Diapers, and its prequel, How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long and Illustrated by David Shannon (he is one of our FAV illustrators and authors). I volunteered to read it because I personally think i have a great pirate accent, and while we are on the subject, my family fully particiaptes in National Talk Like a Pirate Day every September 19th which is close to Gib's birthday (thanks to NPR and my girlfriends HETTER and LAM for celebrating this fantastic holiday!!) . ANYWAY! back to what I was really saying.... the kids were great and laughed at all the right places and answered all my questions (sometimes with MORE information than I wanted!!) and even Laney-bug chilled out to listen! One of the teachers took some pictures- I thought it was adorable and I felt fantastic about it and want to do it every week!

I have had a friend, Carlie, helping me out a little this week. One thing we did was buy furniture for Delaney! she is officially a big girl and now has a dresser and bed to prove it. Carlie and another friend Jane came over Friday and helped me arrange, clean and design Laney's room before the furniture came. Here are the kids trying them out!




There is still a WHOLE bunch of organizing, painting and such to do, but I was happy with how the furniture looked!

On Wednesday, I devleoped this weired CHest cold thing, and it is still hanging around. I have this sexy hack and spit action, and I have zero energy and compassion too, apparently! (but of course,as you read on, you will notice i didn't slow down much)

On Thursday was book club and I finally got to do the book I wanted so many to read- Me Myself and Bob:A True Story About God, Dreams, and Talking Vegetables by Phil Vischer, the creator of VeggieTales. It is a fantastic book, part technical, silly, religious, sad and hopeful all at once. I LOVE VeggieTales and this book just made me love them and their creator even more. our hostess really went the extra mile and created these beauties:
She also had blueberries and Peaches for dessert which are two fo teh few fruits mentioned in VeggieTales.


on Friday- along with our new fruniture for Laney- WE FINALLY GOT A WII!!! now to just figure the thing out. After all was said and done, I paid alot more than I meant to, because you have to buy this and that controller and this game and the warranty, blah blah. I felt so guilty about the money that I came home a little defeated even though I was victorious, but Derick mearly Shooed my guilt by saying he buys that in models a month (YEAH- that makes me feel BETTER!!!!) but i am exctied to have it and will let you knowof the many battles that willensue I am sure- evn though the first game we bought was Endless ocean that is more a scuba diving trip than game... ( the guy at the store said he is a certified diver and this game got him through the winter!!) I can't wait to see Gibson when we have it hooked up!!!




Oh and for all of you that think getting a Wii isn't a big deal this long after the CHristmas Craze, think agian. I had been stalking this and two other stores for over three weeks, had a cell phone alert system, and had talked to many a "slightly-post-pubescent-scruffy-bearded-and-earring-ed-video-geek" before I ran into this store with my five year old (running because the UPS man was outside and I thought I might have missed the delievery) only to be the SECOND person in line and one of 6 to get the Wii, when there were 8 people in line, and four phone calls that came in the 15 minutes I was there!!! BTW, this "find" was an answer to prayer becasue I found out that Walmart has them in stock, but was stock piling them in the back to only sell on Sunday after they come out in the sales flyers. SEVERALstores told me that this is common practice, becasue if you don't have what is advertised in the flyer you get in trouble. I had two sales people tell me that if you don't shop on Sunday, you won't get one. I pretty much said (in a very respectful prayer) that I had promised not to shop on SUnday, so Please help me find a Wii before then!! Needless to say, everyone ws making fun of me for this (Iparticulary liked the comment of- Yah, missie, getting you a wii is right up there on GOd's priority list- you know, world peace, ending world hunger, getting Malissa a wii....) and many thought I was stupid for not jsut going on Sudnay mornign anyway, but I got one and didn't have to break the Sabbath! (in that way anyway- in other ways, my attitude on Sundays STINKS!!!!!)


Friday night I went out to celebrate my friend Jenn's bday and loved eating at Panang and cruising BOrder's books!

SO there is my week. I am still hacking and trying to be nicer to my family. This coming week doesn't have too much planned, but that never means anything!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

MALISSA

this makes me SOOOO happy that you went to your son's class and did a reading!! Seriously! He will always remember that! I remember my Mom coming into my class to do readings. It was always the biggest day for me...I was so excited to show off my way cool Mom! And those readings she did were some of my greatest memories EVER! That's soooo awesome you were able to do that!!! :) :)...i would LOVE to hear more about it!

Love,
Sean

Anonymous said...

Wow! Delaney's new furniture is beautiful! So PRETTY and girly, of course. I am so jealous of the others who were there to help you clean and organize her room. No fair! Great job on the book reading! Delaney looks so grown up! Love you soooooo much!
xoxoxo, Ali