Wednesday, April 30, 2008

CaKe/JaKe WaLk!

We have a cute story and a report (so to speak) of our weekend! On Saturday, Derick and I performed "I Love to see the Temple" for the Relief Society Stake Enrichment meeting. As part of this, I was asked to bake a cake, and Gibson helped me make it. I explained that the cake was for the meeting and we couldn't cut it now, but I promised to bring home leftovers- he so sweetly looked up at me and said, "Can't you just leave the leftovers here now??"

Needless to say, I made sure I brought some home! But the Cake story does not end here! As the Gentlemen were serving us cake from these big tray/Cart things, Derick jokingly said "I'll have the Salmon, please." he then asked for the coconut cake, took a bite and nearly spit it back out! He gasped, "ugh, the power of suggestion!! my cake tastes exactly like salmon!". of course we all laughed at him, but he was dead serious, so I tried some- and SURE ENOUGH- SALMON flavored cake!!! all of these cakes were baked in shallow, cookie sheet types of pans and we think that maybe someone baked salmon and then the oil stayed in the pan until the cake was baked on it!! BLECH! I loved my caramel cake! The kids weren't too thrilled with the kind we had baked, but were happy to be remembered!




On Sunday, I was privileged to participate in March for Babies in honor of Jake Meyerson. There are better pictures and more information on their family website, but little Jake was born with a terrible condition called Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia or CDH. The way it was explained to me was that the diaphragm didn't develop all the way and so the organs were all kind of crammed in the upper part of his chest impacting the growth and location of his heart and lungs, and other organs. He was a cutie and a fighter, but succumbed to this condition after six months of life. He was adorable and had lots of personality, and touched several lives, including his primary care nurse, Taryn, who suggested we do this walk! It was a drizzly, cold day, but it was fun and sweet to reminisce about Jake and feel like we were helping contribute to help other babies than might need help.Jaker's ECMO

The Meyersons!

0 comments: