Saturday, January 12, 2008

Night Visitor

Gibson at 1 month
So it is now 6 am on a Saturday after going to bed extremely late (or early, depending on your perspective) and Gib stumbles in (quite literally) at 5 am mumbling something about being alone. We sleep in a king size bed, and by the wee hours of the morning, we have moved to our separate sides, usually in tight little balls leaving a nice 3 1/2 feet "no man's land" in the middle. While this would be an excellent hidey-hole for a sweet, lanky five year old, it did not happen. Since he woke me up, my brain kicked in on all the things I could be doing- run (no, too early and dark *read dangerous*), work on the quiet books (church in the afternoon this year will be brutal!), Clean off the computer desk (creative minds are seldom tidy), or dining room table (read computer desk again) or try to go back to sleep with this sweet little body heater squished against me, sucking his thumb like Maggie SImpson (yes he still does it!!). I had pretty much decided on the latter after scooting him more toward the center of the bed, when in a perfect stage whisper he said " what time is infinity?" and kinda giggled. I rolled over to ask him again, only to realize he was dead asleep when he said it.



And then my brain went to that sweet story I heard once about a child asking his father how old God was, and the father answered that he should pray about it. The child came back a few minutes later and said "Daddy, how old is infinity?" Now, I don't know if Gibson was dreaming of that or if he was just musing on his precious numbers- for some reason five-year old's LOVE them and making up miraculously huge sounding numbers and using them for silly things such as "mommy, do you have 40-2-100-million-55-thousand-hundred- and -five minutes until you get me some water?", but it was sweet to think about how close our children are to sacred things sometimes. Our daughter's cheery, peaceful manner reminds us of this everyday, while the blustery five year old has some chunks of time where he doesn't. He is a gift from God that is true, and we are so blessed by how much both are flourishing & growing and that they are healthy and strong.




And on that line, we had a semi-Buddhist, very-skeptical-of-over-organized-Western-Religions friend with us in the car the other day, and my phone rang- now those of you who haven't called my cell wouldn't necessarily understand, but I now have "The Pirates Who don't do Anything" by the Veggie Tales as my ring tone AND on a wild hair, I got it as a RINGBACK tone- meaning that whenever someone calls me, instead of hearing ringing while they wait for me to pick up, they hear "The Pirates Who don't do Anything" by the VeggieTales. Many oftentimes I have answered my phone to either people laughing and singing along, or more commonly, "what the H*** was that?!". Well, my friend kinda said that in a manner of speaking (she was around both of my kiddos) and I started telling her how funny and cute the VeggieTales were, when from the back seat Gibson says "we like VeggieTales because they talk about God and Jesus". Now this is a very true statement, but I was shocked that he said it so plainly like that, and was just kind of astute to insert such a relevant piece of information about them into our conversation. Of course my friend looked Thunderstruck and cracked up immediately and i made some crack about him having a gun collection at home, too (once a Republican, I guess), but again, it made me see the simple sweetness of my son's testimony of truth.

And on that note- we saw the MOVIE "The Pirates Who don't do Anything" yesterday and enjoyed it immensely. Here's the NY Times Review (although the comments reviewing the review are more accurate) . While I didn't find as much "adult" humor in it as their videos have, it was still pretty silly and cute! Nor did it have a blatant 'faith' message, but it was certainly in there for those of us paying attention *read adults*. I encourage all parents and interested parties to flood the theatres so that Hollywood notices that clean, G films are NEEDED and DESIRED by this country! OK, enough soapboxing. but I thought I would share a little slice of my life (especially this early in the morning!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow you have busy on your blog! I love the pictures and it fun to see a different side of your darling kids. I love how unembarassed kids are about the Gospel. I think if more of us let people know about how we feel when someone takes God's name in vain (akin to being slapped on the cheek) it wouldn't be nearly so previlent...people are just more considerate than that, but we just don't say anything at all...so it is the way it is....

best to you!

M

bridgmanpottery said...

did that friend happen to be lam?? cute story.
mmb

Anonymous said...

uh huh! that would be me. LAM